Tuesday, November 4, 2014

non-fiction critical analysis

In "Why the Best Kids Books Are Written in Blood" by Sherman Alexie, the author wants us to know young adult literature helps teens deal with adults that want to control them and struggles they often face internally and externally while growing up. The author proves this by making statements like, "..there are million of teens who read because they are sad and lonely and enraged. They read because they live in an often-terrible world. They read because they believe, despite the callow protestations of certain adults, that books-especially the dark and dangerous ones will save them." and "I read books about monsters and monstrous things, often written with monstrous language, because they taught me how to battle the real monsters in my life." and also, "..I write books for teenagers because I vividly remember what it felt like to be a teen facing everyday and epic dangers." By making these statements, Alexie wants the reader to understand the different struggles of teenagers, some often growing up around monstrous people and monstrous things, but who take comfort in the notion that someone, or anyone knows how they feel and can offer them some solidarity. The author wants the reader to think about the differences between privileged and non-privileged types of literature and social classes, Alexie uses this to show the different struggles between teens and how taking away young adult literature diminishes their ability to stand up for themselves. A couple years ago, Alexie encounters a teenager attending the most elite private high school in the country, and spoke to him about his secret agony. "I want to be a writer," the young man says, "But my father won't let me. He wants me to be a soldier. Like he was." Alexie bluntly states that this young man is only 17, and destined to face the horrors of war. The young man then says, "I don't want to be like my father, I want to be myself. Just like in your book." Alexie is placed in an awkwardly antagonizing situation where all he can do is promise the young man more books portraying teens saving themselves from controlling adults. Another situation is described where a young woman was denied the chance to finish high school because she was with child. They told her to take a General Education Degree (GED) and move on. But, she transferred to an alternative high school and is mothering a three-year-old and soon to attend college. The author wants us to realize the most important stories of survival through teenage years is told from teenagers themselves (privileged and not). The article was very heartfelt and convincing, however Alexie neglected to acknowledge the other argument aside from hesitantly refuting it with their own opinion. Though, Alexie had a strong tone and plenty of reliable evidence, they would have made a stronger argument if they had properly refuted the other side.

4 comments:

  1. PARAGRAPHS? Also, the last part should be about your conclusions - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about the formatting error! Currently trying to fix it! And thank you.

      Delete
  2. Maxine-let me just start of by saying that this is a very well written, scintillating analysis! I also read "Why the Best Kids Books are Written in Blood," and you certainly showed a thorough understanding of the article. It really interests me as to how we both read the same article, yet chose completely different quotes/examples. This shows how different people really see things in different ways! I completely agree with your idea that Alexie wants us to know that YA literature helps teens deal with adults that want to control them and struggles they often face internally and externally while growing up, yet it intrigues me that my claim was very contrasting from yours. Overall, very well written Blog Post!!!

    (P.S. Love your URL)

    -Henry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henry! I have yet to read your analysis, but I'm anxious to see your input on "Why the Best Kids Books are Written in Blood".

      Delete